Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Win the Ashes, win a beer

Sorry for the delay in posting. Having a new child and the sleep-deprivation that brings has rather affected my energy levels.

Still, the Ashes is only nine days away and my baby daughter and I can start planning to stay up through the night watching England's efforts in Australia. Hopefully she can stop grizzling, even if we win the toss and choose to field in Brisbane.

One of my friends taught his baby to raise a finger at the mention of the words "Ricky Ponting" (an index finger, indicating "out", I'm assuming). I'll have to teach my daughter to chuckle at the words "Nathan Hauritz, Australia's best spinner".

There is a mood of pessimism over the Australia camp. For the first time in 24 years, England have headed Down Under as favourites. But now I hear that an Australian brewery has come up with an incentive to the nation. If the Aussies win the series, Carlton and United Breweries will give a free pint of beer to every Australian.

I'm not sure that weak Australian pissbeer would be much of an inducement to me to cheer on my side, but as a marketing gimmick goes, it could prove costly. With about 15 million adult Australians in the population, it is estimated that the promotion could cost the company £12 million.

Could Carlton and United end up regretting their gimmick in the same way as Hoover, who offered free flights to anyone who spent £100 on their products in 1992 and found themselves £50 million out of pocket? Or might England actually not lose the series and spare their blushes?

8 comments:

Southern Waratah said...

I have no idea why England are confident, spanking around a 3rd grade South Australian Shield side isn't exactly the same as driving on the up at Woolloongabba on Day 1.

Bring on the first over, it should be a cracker...

Southern Waratah said...

Ian chappell: Steve you have the coin Nasser your call
Nasser: heads
Ian: Heads it is
Nasser: We’re going to bowl
Ian: Whats your thinking there?

Paddy said...

Hi Waratah, Good to hear from you again and welcome over to my non-paywalled blog. Will try to put enough cricket-related posts on here during the Ashes to keep the readers who would rather not pay for my Times stuff satisfied,

Here's to a fabulous series.

Southern Waratah said...

No luck with the roar paddy?

Paddy said...

Yes, the Roar will take a piece from me. Just need to write it...

Southern Waratah said...

in the words of Kramer.... Giddy Up!!

Rich Abbott said...

Fantastic picture of you and Hattie in today's paper! Looks like she's doing really well. And some very sound sleeping advice too. Can't remember if I told you, but I was ill in 06/07 and had the term off university which meant I was able to live entirely nocturnally without having to function in the day. The circumstances were perfect. Obviously the action proved to be much less so.

This year should be different.

Good luck - looking forward to blog posts (though can't imagine where you'll find the time...)

Paddy said...

Thanks Rich. Will try to post every other day and do enough on cricket to keep my former Line and Length readers happy