Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The issue is fear not bigotry

I think an important issue has been missed in the hoo-hah surrounding Gordon Brown calling a voter "bigoted". I don't really care what derogatory complaints he makes about people in private, but I am worried by this quote:
"That was a disaster. Should never have put me with that woman ... whose idea was that?"
Politicians should not be afraid of meeting the voters, even if they don't like them. If Brown doesn't think that he can face people who disagree with them and argue his case strongly, even if he cannot convince them, then what on earth is he doing in politics? I also don't like Brown looking for someone to blame.

It is one of the strengths of David Cameron, who can take on hecklers and dissenters and rationally stick to his guns, regardless of whether it wins them over. He may mutter or think "morons" as he walks away, but I bet he would never ask why he was put in front of those who disagree.

2 comments:

Angus Donald said...

You know what, much as I dislike Gordon Brown, and fear having him as PM for another five years, I feel sorry for him: the woman probably was a bigot, and a man should be allowed to say what he likes in private, particularly if the observation is true.

I still hope he loses the election next week, tho.

Rich Abbott said...

That's the most sensible thing I've read about that incident all day.